Taipan is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information that is collected through the Taipan website https://www.taipan.com.au/ (Taipan Website) or directly from you. This is in accordance with all relevant legislation.
Our ability to effectively process your data is reliant on true, complete and accurate information provided by you. In order to protect your privacy and security, we will not update your information unless we are able to verify your identity through your name and email address.
1. What types of personal information do we collect?
At all times, we try to only collect personal information about you that is relevant to the particular activity or function that we are carrying out.
The personal information that we may collect to enable your use of the Taipan Website, and may include:
- a) Names of individuals;
- b) Company names;
- c) Gender;
- d) Date of birth;
- e) Telephone number;
- f) Email address;
- g) Postal address;
- h) Any “additional information” provided directly by you via our forms;
- i) Payment details;
- j) Username and password for the Taipan Website; and
- k) Any information gathered from requests, feedback or complaints you may make.
2. How do we collect your personal information?
We may collect personal information from you directly in person or by telephone, email, post or via the Taipan Website. We may also receive information via an intermediary we have a relationship with, such as a manufacturer, supplier or your authorised representative.
We may also collect any other information as requested on the Taipan Website or otherwise requested by Taipan or provided by you.
Personal information and your personal details may be collected from you in a number of different ways, including but not limited to:
- a) When you register for the Taipan Website;
- b) When you access and interact with the Taipan Website;
- c) When Taipan provides services to you.
We may log information about your access to and use of our Taipan Website, including through Internet cookies, your communications with our Taipan Website, your browser preference, your operating system, and the IP Address of your Internet Service Provider.
From time to time we may contact you with questionnaires, surveys or market research to improve the Taipan Website. Your participation in and provision of this information is optional.
We use Google Analytics to collect information about how people and or businesses use the Taipan Website. The information we obtain from Google Analytics helps us understand user needs so that we can offer a better user-experience.
3. How do we use your personal information?
If you consent to us processing your personal information, we will not collect, use or disclose your personal information for any purposes other than those identified below, except with your consent.
We may process your personal information for the following purposes:
- a) To enable your access to the data stored in the Taipan Website;
- b) For user verification;
- c) Contacting you in relation to comments, complaints, enquiries or dispute resolution;
- d) Communicating with third party providers or associate parties with respect to the provision of the Taipan Website;
- e) Measuring the effectiveness and usage of the Taipan Website;
- f) Internal record keeping such as tracking usage and traffic on the Taipan Website;
- g) Market research, marketing, and business development;
- h) White papers, case studies, reporting and trends;
- i) Invoicing and billing you (if required);
- j) To keep your records up to date;
- k) To communicate information about our products and services to you;
- l) Providing you with additional benefits;
- m) To identify you (generally and including to identify whether you have asked for your data to be destroyed);
- n) To confirm whether your personal information has been destroyed; and
- o) To comply with any of our legal requirements.
You have the right to withdraw your consent at any time but it will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on consent before its withdrawal. This withdrawal may also impact on our ability to provide our services to you and may result in us cancelling the request for services.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information
Taipan will not disclose your personal information, unless it is required, incidental or otherwise related to the primary purpose of providing services to you or a third party, such as provision of your personal information for which you have consented by accessing and interacting with the Taipan Website.
Taipan may disclose your personal information to its business partners who assist in providing services to you as a customer.
If Taipan is required to disclose your personal information to the extent required under law, including but not limited to in connection with legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings, and to establish or defend Taipan’s rights, Taipan will notify you of this disclosure.
5. Parental Consent
In order to protect the privacy of children, we require parental or guardian consent for all children under the age of 18 to access the Taipan Website and to be able to use their personal information. No sample or information will be handled without this explicit consent. If this consent is not provided, we will promptly remove any personal information provided from our database.
6. Do we process any anonymised or de-identified information?
We sometimes anonymise or de-identify information by removing all of the personally-identifiable information such as your name, date of birth and address. We may then use this de-identified information for the purpose of auditing, quality assurance and research on the basis that they are anonymous and unidentifiable.
None of your personally-identifiable information will ever be used in any reports or publications.
7. Do we ever disclose your personal information to third parties?
8. How your personal information is kept secure
We take the security of your personal information seriously. In order to do so, we have implemented the following protocols:
Our Ecommerce store is maintained by Web Ninja:
- a) Web Ninja’s websites are hosted on Amazon’s AWS platform, which allows Web Ninja to access some of the ‘best practice’ measures and features available, specifically security and site optimisation.
- b) By default, Web Ninja has our data secured via their own SSL certificate – however we also have our own custom SSL certificate that is secured via 256bit encryption.
- c) All customer details are saved against each individual customer and the only way to access this information is for customers to log-in with their own email address and password.
- d) This information is only accessible by any person in our team who has access to the back-end CMS (‘Content Management System’), and it is not copied by Web Ninja to any external resources. From time to time, Web Ninja may keep the information in temporary back-ups of the site, however no access external to our system/platform has access to that information.
- e) At time of checkout – any credit card payments are taken via our payment gateway’s external secure portal. All of our customers’ credit card details are entered via our payment gateway’s highly secure pages and are not stored anywhere on the Web Ninja servers.
- f) If so required, customer details can be deleted at any point in time by anyone who has access to the CMS, however this will unlink any order histories by the customer.
- g) Any order can be deleted from the CMS which also retains the customer’s information via our secure back-end CMS.
These barriers safeguard and secure the information to prevent misuse, interference, loss, or unauthorised access, amendment, or disclosure.
Taipan regularly backs up its data, however you are responsible for ensuring your own data is backed up. Taipan is not responsible for any loss or corruption of data whatsoever due to poor practices, user error, or malicious intent.
9. How long do we hold onto your personal information?
We store your personal information:
- b) For as long as reasonably needed in order to respond to any queries you may have;
- c) For as long as you might legally bring claims against us; or
- d) For as long as the law requires in order to satisfy our legal, audit and compliance requirements.
We will generally only hold your personal information for one to seven years.
You are able to request us to destroy your personal information at any time, but you acknowledge that this may impact on our ability to provide services to you. Your personal information will then be destroyed, with the exception of your deletion request, a confirmation that the information was deleted and any data required in order for us to meet our legal obligations.
10. Are you able to request information or make changes?
You may ask us at any time to provide you with a list of the personal information we hold about you, and for copies of that personal information. We will endeavour to provide you with the data within 30 days of receiving your request. For more complicated matters, we may need to extend this deadline to 60 days.
We will endeavour to provide these requests free of charge. However, if a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee to cover our administrative costs or refuse to act on the request.
If you believe for any reason that we are holding inaccurate or incomplete data about you, you may ask us to correct it. We will consider if the information requires amendment. If we do not agree that there are grounds for amendment, then we will add a note to the personal information stating that you disagree with it.
Our ability to effectively process your data is reliant on true, complete and accurate information provided by you at the time that you engage us to provide the services. We will not update your information or release your results:
- a) Unless we are able to verify your identify through your name and email address; or
- b) If you have previously knowingly provided us with false information regarding your identity.
11. Do we collect sensitive personal information?
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) to include information or opinion about things such as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record, or health information.
Taipan generally does not collect sensitive information. We will notify you specifically if we do collect sensitive information.
12. Cookies and Web Beacons
Taipan may use web beacons from time to time. This will monitor behaviour such as counting user visits, or deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing the Taipan Website.
13. Links to Other Websites
15. How can we be contacted?
You can exercise your rights or make a complaint about how we have handled your personal information by contacting us using the information below:
Call us on: 1300 654 782
Writing to: PO Box 3017, CABOOLTURE QLD 4510
Emailing us at: email@example.com
Each request or complaint will be dealt with confidentially and we will be in contact with you, within a reasonable time about action taken to resolve the complaint.
If you are not satisfied with our response, you may ask for a review by a more senior person at Taipan, or you can make a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman.